A perfect dessert for the hot summer days we have coming up. Always a hit, the light and fluffy pavlovas married with those ripe berries is just a perfect pairing. delicious!
- For the meringue
- 4 egg whites
- 250g caster sugar
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp cornflour
- 1/2 vanilla pod or 1 tsp vanilla extract
For the diplomat cream:
- 350g whole milk
- 1 vanilla pod or 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- 4 egg yolks
- 60g sugar
- 15g flour
- 15g cornflour
For the Chantilly:
- 250 double cream
- 25g icing sugar
- 1/2 vanilla pod or 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- For the meringue
- Pre Heat oven to 130C
- In a mixer whisk the egg whites until they form stiff peaks, then whisk in 250g caster sugar, 1 tbsp at a time, until the meringue looks glossy.
- Whisk in 1 tsp white wine vinegar, 1 tsp cornflour and the vanilla
- Using a piping bag, pipe 6 circles creating a crater by making the sides a little higher than the middle.
- Bake for 20 minutes then turn off the heat and let the Pavlova cool completely inside the oven.
For the pastry cream
- In a bowl, whisk together the eggs and sugar until they turn a pale gold colour. Whisk in the flour and cornflour and set aside.
- Place the milk and vanilla in saucepan, bring to a gentle simmer, stirring frequently. Remove the pan from the heat and let cool for 30 seconds.
- Slowly pour half of the hot milk onto the egg mixture, whisking all the time, then return the mixture to the remaining milk in the pan. It is important to slowly pour the hot milk onto the cold eggs before you return the mixture to the pan to prevent the eggs from scrambling.
- Bring the mixture back to the boil and simmer for one minute, whisking continuously, or until smooth.
- Pour the cream into a clean bowl and cover with clean film to prevent a skin forming. When cooled, refrigerate until needed.
To make the diplomat you’ll use the pastry cream lightened with Chantilly cream, make it just before you assemble the pavlovas.
Whip the cream with the sugar and vanilla to medium peaks. Fold a few spoonfuls of the pastry cream into the whipped cream. Gradually add the rest of the pastry cream, being careful to not knock the air out.
To assemble place some pieces of strawberries, a few blackberries and a few raspberries. Spoon the cream and add one by one the fruits for decoration.