These bombolini are an irresistibly light adaption of the classic Italian doughnut. Rolled in vanilla sugar and filled with a light vanilla crème, they are perfect garnished with the best of Summer’s strawberries. Infusing used vanilla pods into sugar allows you to use all of the vanilla pod- keep on hand in the pantry for any recipes requiring vanilla.
- 275g bread flour
- 60g whole milk
- 9g quick (instant) yeast
- 100g whole egg
- 5g salt
- 60g butter
- 40g sugar
- 10g milk powder
- 5g Zazou Vanilla Paste (2 Tablespoons)
- Vegetable oil – to fry
- Place all ingredients in the mixing bowl of a kitchen Aid or stand mixer. Using the hook attachment mix on a low speed for 5 minutes. Scrape the bowl down.
- Then mix on a medium speed for an additional 10 minutes, until the dough is elastic and smooth.
- Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl and cover with clingfilm. Allow to prove until doubled in size (approx. 30mins).
- Knock the dough back and turn out onto a lightly floured bench.
- Scale the dough at 50g per piece and roll into balls.
- Place the bombolini onto a tray lined with greaseproof paper, and cover.
- Allow the prove until doubled in size.
- Heat oil in a large pan until 180 deg C. Place 3-4 bombolini into the oil at a time, turning them after around 90 seconds, or when golden brown.
- Once they are golden brown, drain on kitchen paper and allow the cool 1 min, before coating in sugar.
Vanilla custard filling
- 240g milk
- 15g cornflour
- 15g flour
- 30g sugar
- 50g egg yolks
- 20g butter, softened
- ½ Zazou vanilla pod
1. Bring the milk to a boil in a saucepan with the vanilla.
2. In a bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, sugar, flour and cornflour.
3. Pour the boiling milk over the egg mixture, whisk, return to the pot.
4. Cook, stirring, until it comes to the boil. Boil for one minute, stirring to prevent the custard browning on the bottom.
5. Remove from heat and add the butter.
6. Allow to cool in the refrigerator until set, then mix gently to smooth before using.
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ used, dried vanilla pod
- Blitz together in a food processor to infuse the vanilla into the sugar.
- Sieve to remove any large pieces of vanilla.
- Roll the bombolini in the vanilla sugar.
- Place the vanilla custard into a piping bag.
- Using a small knife, make a small incision in one side of the bombolini, and pipe the vanilla custard into the centre.
- Garnish with fresh strawberries and a little strawberry jam.